Pages

Tuesday 5 April 2016

Surfing at Sumner beach!

On Monday the 21st March the Year 7 and 8's from Rimu Class went surfing at Sumner Beach as our first challenge for the William Pike Challenge Award, while we were gone the year 6's stayed at school and just had a normal school day. Some of the parents drove us in their cars to sumner beach. My mum came surfing with us but she didn't actually surf but she came to watch. She took Bella N, Laura and I in her car, which I was really happy about.

I thought it would be quite hard and I was right it was hard but after a little bit of practice it got pretty easy. I found getting up on the board quite hard, but once I practiced getting up it became easier by the minute. My friends and I were cheering for each other but sometimes they accidentally fell off, which was pretty funny. 
I learnt that my friends enjoyed surfing apart from all of the salt water getting into our mouths. 

Everyone was giving it a go and we all did really well even if we fell of the surf boards a lot. If I ever go surfing again I will practice the 'cat,' movement and to keep my feet straight forward. But I also have to remember to be aware of other surfers too and to not get in their way while they are on a wave.

Here is a picture of me at Sumner beach:


Here is my senses poem:
 
Prudence’s Senses Poem

I could smell the strong salty air.
I could smell the disgusting smell of the wet dogs.

I could see the public looking at us.
I could see the big waves pushing people all over the place.

I could taste the salty water as I got pushed under the water by the strong waves.
I could taste my salty apple at break.

I could hear the waves coming up to shore.
I could hear the seagulls squawking at me for more food.

I could feel the foamy water pushing against me.
I could feel seaweed running across my feet as I go deeper into the sea.

1 comment:

  1. I loved taking all you girls to Sunmer beach for surfing. I thought you did really well Prudence and I was very proud of you. Trying something new can be scary but you gave it a go and discovered you had a natural talent for surfing. Well done, Sandra.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.